Tuesday 12 December 2017

München - Montag

Hello, Dear Readers. I am about to share with you a day of contrasts, where I took lots and lots of photos.

And, I will attempt to answer the following questions.

a/ what happens when you attempt to avoid the Christmas markets?

b/ what bits are you most likely to freeze off at the northern hemisphere winter Frost Fairs?

c/ What do most girls like, even the historic Bavarians?

IMG_6299

IMG_6300

But first, sigh, the romance of travel. We have run out of undies so it is time to visit the laundrette.

Brilliantly, it is 7 degrees, don't need a hat or gloves!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today we are off to visit the Rezidence, which is the royal Palace of the former Bavarian rulers.

However, before we got there we unintentionally stumbled across another Christmas Market.

You don’t even have to look for them, they just appear by magic. I think if you try to avoid them they will multiply until they have trapped you with their glittery goodness and Christmassy smells. 

IMG_6305

IMG_6307IMG_6308IMG_6309IMG_6310

However, the goal was to visit the Residenz, so we managed to break the enchantment and escape the Christmas Market. I think the Market spell can only be broken Dear Readers by parting with a precious charm, which in this magical land is known as a Euro.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Residenz (German: [ʁesiˈdɛnts], Residence) in central Munich is the former royal palace of the Wittelsbach monarchs of Bavaria. The Residenz is the largest city palace in Germany and is today open to visitors for its architecture, room decorations, and displays from the former royal collections. – (Wikipedia)

IMG_6314IMG_6315

Okay, so we spent HOURS here, with one of those audio tours. We may even have still be there only we just couldn’t listen to every piece of information and would have been locked in overnight

IMG_6316

Dozens of marble statues and all must have been to the Frost Fairs as they have frozen some bits off…. Arms and heads I mean,,, (and Graham is threatening to censor my blog again due to sexism if I don't behave myself. ‘snigger’)…

IMG_6317

There was also some fantastic treasures on display, such as China.

IMG_6327IMG_6328

And I wouldn't mind one of these sparkly chandeliers, although I don't think I could fit them in the house. 

IMG_6339

Of course most of the Residenz was bombed heavily during WW2, so most of it is basically newly restored… (e.g. NEW)

Below, always laugh when I accidently take a photo of myself taking the photo!

IMG_6341

Anyway, there were heaps of photos of the Palace and I’ve only shared a few with you, so not to bore you to tears.

```````````````

But wait, there's more!

We then visited the Bavarian Treasury.

And what do most girls like?

Which crown would suit me I wonder? I’m not good in hats but I think I could forgive one of these beauties!

IMG_6345

IMG_6346

IMG_6352

I think this one below is about my style, Rubies and diamonds and the complete matching set, Yum. (Just one ruby would do… really not that greedy…)

IMG_6353

IMG_6347

And below- there's that chick taking photos again.

IMG_6357

Heading back to the Hotel and the Enchanted Christmas market has appeared in another place, this one is Maximillian square, I think…

So we appeased the magic spell by buying a very delicious pastry, spiral, cinnamon thingy.  And of course consuming the traditional Glühwein, which alters ones perceptions and makes one even more vulnerable to the atmospheric Christmas enchantments.

IMG_6358IMG_6359

IMG_6361

Its only about 4:30pm in these pics!

IMG_6363

Answers to Quiz

a/ what happens when you attempt to avoid the Christmas markets?

You can’t avoid them, they appear by magic., its spooky….

b/ what bits are you most likely to freeze off at the northern hemisphere winter Frost Fairs?

Depends on which bits you are stupid enough to expose!

c/ What do most girls like, even the historic Bavarians?

Some bling to wear while drinking the  Glühwein.

scan of post it 001

No comments:

Post a Comment