Friday 10 December 2010

My Quilt World - 'All Spruced Up'

This is the Christmas quilt that I completed for 2009. It now lives in our entry hall at Christmas and I clip our Christmas cards to it with plastic clips.


I designed this quilt before I bought the EQ6 program. I  used graph paper and coloured pencils. 

It was one of those projects that changed as it went along. I decided to put an angel on top of the tree rather than the star I had originally planned, especially when I found this great appliqué pattern. (From, Australian Patchwork & Quilting, vol 17. issue 4).


I machined quilted this myself with simple straight lines (and a bit of huffing and swearing) in a variegated gold cotton.

Then I decided to cover the whole thing in beads and sequins by hand! REALLY - what was I thinking! But I had great fun raiding Vi's (my mum in law) box of beads to find what I wanted... (However, its 12 months later and I'm still finding loose sequins down the back of the lounge). 



When I was nearly finished I decided it looked really bare at the bottom - so I toyed with the idea of appliquéing a Merry Christmas banner across the bottom. Finally I decided on presents under the tree - they are made like mini quilts and attached with press duds so they can be removed for easy washing.

The gift tags (which I printed on printable fabric from a word document) say - seasons greetings, peace, joy, love and happiness - gifts I'm sure everyone would like at Christmas...

until next time  .... Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment