Thursday 13 September 2018

Queensland 2018 - Part Two - Daintree and Cape Tribulation



Well, this is the furthest north we have been in Australia (not the furthest north in the world – that’s probably Scotland). I’ve been to Rockhampton when I was a kid and Grahams furthest north was the Sunshine coast! So we have been wanting to do this trip for a long time.


So lets act like tourists! Afterall, it does feel like we are in another country. We took a day trip up north with ‘Billy Tea Safaris”. It was us, some people from China and a whole mob of Kiwis.

 And I did hear the comments when we were introduced, “What was that Australian show with the Kim in it? That’s right Kath and Kim”. OMG, is that what the world thinks of Kim’s, don’t they have girls named Kim in NZ? I’m going to have to change my name.



Anyway, putting that name trauma to one side.. First stop was a boat ride on the Daintree River to see crocodiles. Nope, no crocs around today. I bet their out there watching us and having a laugh. (I suspect, mostly about my name).
There were some snakes I am told, although I think folks were making up stories because I couldn’t see any snakes.


Then we went on a Rainforest walk hunting for cassowaries. Nope none of them birdies about either.






We had a stop for a swim in a water hole, but it was raining so it wasn’t very enticing (nobody swam, it wasnt just us being old farts). 



But we did have damper, a nice cup of tea and a taste of some tropical fruits.  Chocolate pudding fruit is something different.


Next stop was Cape Tribulation beach. Named by Captain Cook as this is where all his trials and troubles started. It was soon after sighting this cape that he hit that inconvenient reef that caused him so many problems. 




Finished off the day with yummy Daintree icecream, passionfruit, jack fruit (tastes lemony), wattle seed (tastes cappuccino-y), and another tropical fruit that I can’t remember now!



And on the homeward trip I am told we saw a crocodile crossing the Daintree on the car ferry.   

No the croc wasn’t on the ferry, the tour bus was on the ferry,  the croc was supposedly on the river bank.  Or it may have been a log, I don’t know, I think people are being tricksy.


And why did the cassowary cross the road?
To prove they do exist. (so I could take this pic through the windscreen).

And they cross the road so slowly no wonder they get run over! Too chilled out man!
Just like the below sign, wonderful cheeky graffiti. (Its a speed bump sign).


Or as Graham remarked, defacing council property. (Bah Humbug).


No comments:

Post a Comment