Monday 23 April 2012

Holiday Time, Yippee.

Yes, I know it seems like we’ve only just got back from our Grand Tour but we just about to go off on another holiday.

Europe was nearly six months ago and Graham is feeling restless.

This time we are off to Melbourne and the Victorian goldfields…..

(Yes, I know, not quite the same as Venice, but one has to come down to earth at some point)!

Vic Dec 2000 004

Above: Flinders Street Station taken by me in December 2000

Last time I was in this area of Australia was 12 years ago.

My then teenage sons and I did a big holiday road trip.

We travelled down through central Victoria to the Great Ocean Road and then to Phillip Island to visit the penguins.

Vic Dec 2000

above: Me and Sean at the entry to Sovereign Hill at Ballarat.

Look at how thin I was then….. Sad smile

I’ve always wanted to go back and have a better look at Ballarat and Bendigo

so that was the catalyst for this trip.

Graham and I have been to Melbourne for a Grand Prix but not into country Victoria together.

Anyway, humour me whilst I reminisce about a great trip

with Sean and Andrew and their single Mum.

I scanned the photos, hence the grainy quality.

Hey this was in the olden days when one used a thing called – 35mm film-.

Vic Dec 2000 001

Here's Andrew panning for gold at Sovereign Hill

Vic Dec 2000 002 Vic Dec 2000 003

Above: This was our picnic sitting on the edge of the Great Ocean Road.

Yes, the car was big enough to even take our folding table…

 

Vic Dec 2000 005Vic Dec 2000 006 small crop

And the boys discovered all the traditional Melbourne icons including the MCG and  Old Melbourne Gaol.

Hummm, I seem to remember a lot of Paul Kelly songs and Cold Chisel on this trip.

Vic Dec 2000 007small crop

and, here I am at the Zoo in Melbourne, in the Butterfly House.

It was the day of my 38th Birthday and it was over 40 degrees.

Anyway, we leave in a few days, and this time we are flying to Melbourne

and then hiring a car for the drive up to Ballarat.

I’ll blog during the trip – so watch this space…

Until next time, Red heartRed heartRed heart Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment