Saturday 28 September 2019

A Day Amongst the Lovely Flowers of Canberra



If it ever rains again Dear Readers I must plant some bulbs.

I've always loved jonquils, daffodils and freesias, but I've not had them in my current garden.
Maybe it will rain and I can get some next year! 

The good thing about my favourite bulbs is that they can just stay in the ground, 
unlike tulips which need to be lifted each year. 
Jolly fussy things they are!
 
Lifted means you need to dig the bulbs up every year, 
but not until the previous years foliage has died down,
as the foliage produces the energy for the next years flower. 
 And then the bulbs need to chill in the fridge before they are replanted. 
The chilling confuses the bulb to think it has been covered in snow over winter.

Now... I didn't have to look up any of that knowledge on Wikipedia, 
as it came straight from my head - kimbapedia, (snort).

Anyway, just trying to describe what an impressive effort and expense it must be 
every year to plant these 1000's of tulips!

And here are some lovely photos from our visit at Floriade today!

Poppies and Lake Burley Griffin






   
A Garden Gnome competition - what else?   

No comments:

Post a Comment